By Artemis Alexiadou, Florian Schäfer
This quantity features a choice of papers facing buildings that experience a passive-like interpretation yet don't appear to proportion the entire homes with canonical passives. The fifteen chapters of this quantity increase vital questions about the right characterization of the common homes of passivization and mirror the present dialogue during this region, masking syntactic, semantic, psycho-linguistic and typological features of the phenomenon, from assorted theoretical views and in numerous language households and subsidized up normally via vast corpora and experimental experiences.
Read Online or Download Non-Canonical Passives PDF
Similar grammar books
The thrill and straightforward solution to research crucial grammar ideas, universal utilization error, and different key techniques within the English language
Understanding the foundations of English is vital to being an efficient communicator—at paintings, in school, or at any place else. in the event you fight with the rules—and who hasn't? —English Grammar necessities For Dummies, Australian version is the ebook for you. overlaying simply the fundamentals you wish, the ebook boils the foundations of grammar right down to the center recommendations that would make you a greater communicator in any and each point of your lifestyles.
• perfect for college students, activity hunters, grownup rookies, those that communicate English as a moment language, and an individual who desires to make an outstanding impression
• Covers the very important necessities wanted for higher written communication
• Serves as an exceptional refresher direction for pros whose fundamental mode of verbal exchange is more and more digital and written
Clear and comprehensible writing will be the most important to good fortune in nearly any specialist box. With English Grammar necessities For Dummies, Australian version, you'll grasp the fundamentals comfortably!
A key objective of a radical English language direction within the united kingdom should be to consolidate the grammar that the scholar will have already got learnt in a full of life and motivating manner. lecturers operating in extensive classes within the united kingdom could be fairly green and may be trying to find easy-to-use additional source fabric during this not easy job.
With English and Portuguese as dad or mum languages; the numerous lexical retention of African languages; and the relative isolation of its audio system, Saramaccan has consistently stood out between Creole languages. but regardless of its visible curiosity Saramaccan got little within the method of scholarly examine. This groundbraking monograph dispels the secret surrounding Saramaccan and gives powerful proof for a brand new method of Creole origins.
This quantity encompasses a number of papers facing structures that experience a passive-like interpretation yet don't appear to percentage the entire houses with canonical passives. The fifteen chapters of this quantity increase very important questions about the right characterization of the common homes of passivization and replicate the present dialogue during this zone, overlaying syntactic, semantic, psycho-linguistic and typological features of the phenomenon, from assorted theoretical views and in numerous language households and sponsored up ordinarily via wide corpora and experimental reports.
- Noun Phrases and Nominalizations: The Syntax of DPs
- A Grammar of Hinuq
- On the Compositional Nature of States
Extra resources for Non-Canonical Passives
4) and (5) illustrate a class of adjectival participles not usually distinguished, which I call situation-in-progress participles. Here the participle’s time reference matches that of the situation described by the corresponding verb. The (rare) participles in (4) express in-progress events. (4a,b) cannot be uttered if the music is over or the car is stationary (ignoring a resultative reading in (4b) where bad driving has affected the car). In (4c,d) the pictures depict in-progress events and need not reveal anything about the states of the Theme arguments.
She is going/ leaving can describe acts before departure (packing, dressing, farewells), in contrast to clear result state cases (Joe is escaping is not yet true if Joe is making a hole in a jail wall). This and the confinement to human arguments (*the lion/letter went/ left) suggests that the verbs have shifted meanings expressing departure-related actions without result states. Note finally that *left people and *entered people suffer from problems of thematic ambiguity: is people interpreted as an argument of the intransitive or transitive uses of V (cf.
2012. Passive states. To appear in Telicity, Change and State, Violeta Demonte & Louise McNally (eds). Oxford: OUP. Gese, Helga. 2011. Events in adjectival passives. ), 259–273. Saarbrücken: Saarland University Press. Grimshaw, Joan. 1990. Argument Structure. Cambridge MA: The MIT Press. Haspelmath, Martin. 1994. Passive participles across languages. In Voice: Form and Function [Typological Studies in Language 27], Barbara A. Fox & Paul J. Hopper (eds), 151–177. Amsterdam: John Benjamins. Kemmer, Suzanne.