By Greg Kroah-Hartman
I've got numerous books from O'Reilly's "In a Nutshell" sequence and prefer all of them. This one may be close to the head of the record out of those i've got, as it is top-notch.
It's in the beginning a reference, and i'm already pulling it out with a few frequency. yet it is also stable for filling in a few gaps in my wisdom of the Linux kernel as i am faraway from a professional but in addition now not a newbie, and this publication has additionally helped me construct a few instinct into Linux and the kernel. particularly worthwhile is an element II, exhibiting the best way to verify the right kind module and a few of the kernel configuration recipes, as those will be useful for a beginner and will aid convey an individual previous the beginner point as much as one other level.
For an individual facing the Linux kernel of their paintings, this publication certainly belongs of their assortment.
Read or Download Linux Kernel in a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly)) PDF
Similar unix books
Network and process protection offers concentrated assurance of community and process safeguard applied sciences. Explores functional options to a variety of community and structures defense matters. Chapters are authored via major specialists within the box and handle the fast and long-term demanding situations within the authors' respective parts of craftsmanship. assurance comprises development a safe association; cryptography; approach intrusion; UNIX and Linux safeguard; web protection, intranet safety; LAN safeguard; instant community safeguard; mobile community protection, RFID safety, and extra.
* Chapters contributed by way of leaders within the box masking foundational and functional elements of approach and community safety, offering a brand new point of technical services now not came upon elsewhere.
* finished and up-to-date assurance of the topic quarter permits the reader to place present applied sciences to paintings
* provides equipment of research and challenge fixing suggestions, improving the reader's take hold of of the cloth and talent to enforce sensible strategies
* Teaches find out how to paintings shrewdpermanent and steer clear of the various pitfalls of handling Solaris structures * Covers the most recent unencumber of Solaris, Solaris nine, in addition to prior types * Written through specialists with years of Solaris event * full of useful, hands-on options to tricky difficulties, displaying the right way to keep away from expensive errors * Tackles coping with method functionality; the sunlight hearth line of Solaris company servers; fitting, configuring, and patching Solaris; and making sure protection"
Get the e-book that exhibits you not just what to review, yet tips on how to learn. the one classroom-based built-in learn method for pro certification provides whole assurance of all targets for the sunlight qualified Programmer for Java five examination, hundreds and hundreds of perform examination questions, and hands-on workouts.
- UNIX network programming, vol.2: Interprocess communication
- UNIX for Open: VMS Users
- Mac OS X Panther Hacks: 100 Industrial Strength Tips & Tools
- Solaris 7 administrator certification training guide
Extra resources for Linux Kernel in a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))
Make silentoldconfig works exactly the same way as oldconfig, but it does not print anything to the screen, unless it needs to ask a question about a new configuration option. Usually, when upgrading between different versions of the stable releases, no new configuration options are added, as this is supposed to be a stable kernel series. If this happens, there are no new questions that need to be answered for the kernel configuration, so the program continues successfully without any need for user intervention.
To start up this configuration mode, enter: $ make menuconfig You will be shown a screen much like Figure 4-1. Configuring and Building Figure 4-1. Initial menuconfig screen The instructions for navigating through the program, and the meanings of the different characters, are shown at the top of the screen. The rest of the screen containing the different kernel configuration options. The kernel configuration is divided up into sections. Each section contains options that correspond to a specific topic.
Now that we have the module name, we need to find the kernel configuration option that controls it. o Remember to replace the e1000 used for this example with the name of the module that you are looking to find. 12040 Page 49 Friday, December 1, 2006 10:03 AM The important thing to look for in the output of the previous find command is any line that has the term CONFIG_ in it. That is the configuration option that the kernel needs to have enabled in order to build the module. In the above example, the option CONFIG_E1000 is the configuration option that you are looking for.