By Steven Graham
The Linux management Made effortless (LAME) consultant makes an attempt to explain daily management and upkeep concerns normally confronted by way of Linux process directors. This booklet is a part of the Linux Documentation Project.
Linux management Made effortless summarizes the set up and configuration, in addition to the daily administrative and upkeep techniques that are supposed to be to maintain a Linux-based server or computing device process up and operating. it truly is geared to an viewers of either company in addition to domestic clients. it isn't meant to be an entire evaluate of Unix operations, as there are numerous stable texts to be had in addition to online documentation that may be noted in situations the place extra certain details is required.
In basic, your Linux approach can function with not less than consumer upkeep. regimen initiatives, corresponding to rotating and discarding of procedure logs, are computerized. for this reason, for the main half, in spite of little or no person intervention, Linux will hum alongside doing its activity. notwithstanding, in circumstances of customized wishes or method failure this documentation could end up invaluable.
Read or Download Linux Administration Made Easy PDF
Similar unix books
Network and process defense offers targeted assurance of community and method safeguard applied sciences. Explores functional options to quite a lot of community and platforms safety concerns. Chapters are authored by means of major specialists within the box and tackle the rapid and long-term demanding situations within the authors' respective components of craftsmanship. assurance comprises construction a safe association; cryptography; process intrusion; UNIX and Linux defense; web defense, intranet defense; LAN protection; instant community safety; mobile community safety, RFID defense, and extra.
* Chapters contributed by way of leaders within the box masking foundational and functional facets of approach and community safeguard, supplying a brand new point of technical services no longer came across elsewhere.
* entire and up-to-date insurance of the topic zone permits the reader to place present applied sciences to paintings
* provides equipment of research and challenge fixing recommendations, improving the reader's clutch of the cloth and skill to enforce functional suggestions
* Teaches the best way to paintings clever and stay away from the numerous pitfalls of coping with Solaris platforms * Covers the newest liberate of Solaris, Solaris nine, in addition to previous models * Written by way of specialists with years of Solaris event * choked with functional, hands-on options to tricky difficulties, exhibiting tips to stay away from high priced error * Tackles dealing with procedure functionality; the sunlight hearth line of Solaris company servers; fitting, configuring, and patching Solaris; and making sure safety"
Get the booklet that exhibits you not just what to check, yet how you can learn. the single classroom-based built-in examine process for pro certification delivers entire assurance of all goals for the solar qualified Programmer for Java five examination, enormous quantities of perform examination questions, and hands-on workouts.
- Understanding the LINUX Kernel: From I/O Ports to Process Management
- UNIX Questions and Answers
- UNIX System Security: A Guide for Users and System Administrators
- Linux Format, Issue 153 (January 2012)
- Introducing Linux Distros
Extra info for Linux Administration Made Easy
Custom Configuration and Administration Issues All TACACS activity log messages will be recorded in “/var/log/messages” for your perusal. 4. Windows-style File and Print Services with Samba Linux can provide SMB services (eg. WfW, Win95, and NT-style network file & printer sharing), using the Samba package. This section will describe how to configure shares, and how to access them from client machines. The Samba package is included with the Red Hat distribution, you can check if it is installed and what version you have by typing: rpm -q samba If it isn’t installed, you will need to install it using the RPM utility.
A direct match to the username in the /etc/passwd file. Password, 13 character encrypted. A blank entry (eg. ::) indicates a password is not required to log in (usually a bad idea), and a “*” entry (eg. :*:) indicates the account 49 Chapter 6. General System Administration Issues • • • • • • • has been disabled. The number of days (since January 1, 1970) since the password was last changed. 7. System Shutdown and Restart To shut down the system from a terminal session, sign in or “su” to the “root” account.
Auto services = cdrom # The location of your “printcap” file, a text file containing # definitions for your printers. printcap name = /etc/printcap # If enabled all printers in the /etc/printcap file will be # loaded into the browse-list. load printers = yes # The print command by which data is spooled to a printer under Linux. print command = lpr -r -P%p %s # The print command by which job queue information (printer status) # can be obtained. lpq command = lpq -P%p # The print command by which unwanted print jobs can be deleted # from the queue.