By Allan Liska
DNS safeguard: protecting the area identify System offers strategies on tips to shield a site identify method (DNS) framework via exploring universal DNS vulnerabilities, learning varied assault vectors, and offering worthwhile details for securing DNS infrastructure. The e-book is a well timed reference as DNS is a vital part of the web that's enthusiastic about nearly each assault opposed to a community. The e-book focuses completely at the safeguard features of DNS, protecting universal assaults opposed to DNS servers and the protocol itself, in addition to how one can use DNS to show the tables at the attackers and forestall an incident prior to it even starts off.
- Presents a multi-platform strategy, protecting Linux and home windows DNS protection tips
- Demonstrates easy methods to enforce DNS protection instruments, together with a variety of monitor photographs and configuration examples
- Provides a well timed reference on DNS safety, a vital part of the Internet
- Includes details of curiosity to these operating in DNS: Securing Microsoft DNS and BIND servers, realizing buffer overflows and cache poisoning, DDoS assaults, pen-testing DNS infrastructure, DNS firewalls, reaction coverage Zones, and DNS Outsourcing, among different topics
Read Online or Download DNS Security. Defending the Domain Name System PDF
Similar unix books
Network and process protection offers concentrated assurance of community and method protection applied sciences. Explores functional ideas to a variety of community and platforms safeguard concerns. Chapters are authored via major specialists within the box and tackle the speedy and long-term demanding situations within the authors' respective components of workmanship. assurance comprises development a safe association; cryptography; procedure intrusion; UNIX and Linux safeguard; net protection, intranet defense; LAN defense; instant community protection; mobile community safety, RFID defense, and extra.
* Chapters contributed by way of leaders within the box overlaying foundational and useful elements of approach and community safety, supplying a brand new point of technical services now not discovered elsewhere.
* accomplished and up to date insurance of the topic sector permits the reader to place present applied sciences to paintings
* provides equipment of study and challenge fixing innovations, improving the reader's take hold of of the fabric and talent to enforce functional ideas
* Teaches easy methods to paintings clever and stay away from the numerous pitfalls of dealing with Solaris platforms * Covers the newest unencumber of Solaris, Solaris nine, in addition to previous models * Written through specialists with years of Solaris event * filled with functional, hands-on strategies to tricky difficulties, displaying the best way to keep away from expensive errors * Tackles dealing with approach functionality; the solar fireplace line of Solaris firm servers; fitting, configuring, and patching Solaris; and making sure defense"
Get the publication that indicates you not just what to check, yet find out how to examine. the one classroom-based built-in examine approach for pro certification promises entire insurance of all pursuits for the solar qualified Programmer for Java five examination, 1000's of perform examination questions, and hands-on workouts.
- Sams Teach Yourself FreeBSD in 24 Hours
- Teach yourself Gimp in 24 hours
- UNIX User's Handbook
- Essential CVS
- UNIX Network Programming, Volume 2: Interprocess Communications (2nd Edition)
Extra resources for DNS Security. Defending the Domain Name System
A number of operating system vendors enable DNS services by default. This is expected behavior, especially if the server needs to talk to the rest of the Internet. However, some of these configurations leave the server running as essentially an open recursive server. This is bad for a number of reasons, but specifically in this section it means that if the server is exposed to the Internet it is potentially vulnerable to attack, especially if the server administrator does not know the DNS server is running and is not regularly updating it.
Regular audits of the system should take less than an hour—again as long as there is a strong process in place. NOTES 1. CyberBunker has a different version of events, CyberBunker is wrong. 2. ” 39 CHAPTER DNS configuration errors 3 INFORMATION IN THIS CHAPTER • DNS Server Vulnerabilities • Fingerprinting DNS Servers • Buffer Overflows, Race Conditions, and Execution with Unnecessary Privileges • Human Errors INTRODUCTION The “sexy” attacks on DNS today tend to be against the DNS protocol itself or against the root servers.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF DNS SECURITY BREACHES A listing of all security breaches that were either attacks against DNS infrastructure or took advantage of flaws in DNS security would fill several books. Rather the purpose of this section is to provide an overview of the different types of breaches that have occurred over the years and to demonstrate how DNS attacks have changed over time. In 1996 Eugene Kashpureff used a DNS cache poisoning exploit to redirect traffic from the InterNIC’s web site to his own web site, AlterNIC, an alternative registry.