By OECD Territorial Reviews
Mega towns like Tokyo with greater than 35 million humans and Mexico with approximately 18.5 million, and massive agglomerations corresponding to Montreal, Helsinki, Madrid and Stockholm are usually known as engines of nationwide progress. aggressive towns within the international financial system is predicated on a distinct overseas database of seventy eight metro-regions. It offers signs on the topic of huge towns' performances inside of their nations and the criteria contributing to their development. ''The such a lot accomplished exam of the territorial size underlying fiscal progress today,'' this record additionally addresses key dilemmas, together with matters corresponding to competitiveness and social harmony, intergovernmental relationships and concrete finance.
Read or Download Competitive Cities in the Global Economy PDF
Best international business books
This e-book examines the serious position that the commercial rules of country leaders play within the construction and upkeep of the foreign fiscal order. Drawing on a close examine of the fifteen post-Soviet states of their first decade of independence, interviews with key decision-makers and using closed ministerial information, the e-book explores how the altering principles of nation officers led international locations to stick to one in every of 3 institutional paths: fast access into the area alternate Organizaiton, participation in a nearby Customs Union according to their earlier Soviet ties, or autarky and fiscal closure.
This instruction manual is aquick connection with foreign Accounting criteria and is designed for all those that engage with monetary details, and want an sped up path to realizing the major rules of overseas accounting ideas. it really is crucial studying for all contributors of the administration crew.
Because the 20th century attracts to a detailed and the push to globalization gathers momentum, political and financial issues are crowding out important moral questions on the form of our destiny. Now, Hans ok? ng, one of many world's preeminent Christian theologians, explores those matters in a visionary and cautionary examine the arrival international society.
Govt determination makers are coming to appreciate that strategic administration, nationwide govt rules, and the foreign public region are all similar, frequently in refined methods. overseas markets now have much more impression on company functionality. Dr. Beenhakker familiarizes readers with a multifaceted method of selection making in a world context, targeting the interactions among the personal and public sectors.
- How Markets Work: Disequilibrium, Entrepreneurship and Discovery
- International business
- Direktinvestitionen im Ausland: Die Determinanten der Direktinvestitionen im Ausland und ihre Wirkung auf den Außenhandel
- Limits and Problems of European Integration: The Conference of May 30 – June 2, 1961
- Doing Business with Slovenia
- Britain, the Commonwealth and Europe: The Commonwealth and Britain’s Applications to join the European Communities
Extra resources for Competitive Cities in the Global Economy
1. 9. Ranking of OECD metro-regions by income GDP per capita in PPPs for a sample of 78 metro-regions in the OECD San Francisco Washington Boston Seattle Minneapolis New York Denver Philadelphia Dallas Atlanta Houston San Diego London Chicago Los Angeles Detroit Baltimore Paris Cleveland Portland St. Louis Phoenix Dublin Pittsburgh Tampa Bay Vienna Miami Stockholm Stuttgart Milan Lyon Munich Oslo Sydney Brussels Toronto OECD average Helsinki Frankfurt Copenhagen Zurich Rome Randstad-Holland Melbourne Vancouver Turin Auckland Hamburg Tokyo Montreal Madrid Aichi Birmingham Leeds Rhine-Ruhr Lisbon Osaka Manchester Barcelona Prague Lille Budapest Warsaw Fukuoka Valencia Busan Berlin Athens Seoul Monterrey Naples Mexico City Guadalajara Puebla Daegu Krakow Istanbul Izmir Ankara 0 10 000 20 000 30 000 40 000 50 000 60 000 70 000 US dollars Note: OECD average refers to the average of OECD metro-regions.
The activity rate. Greater productivity per worker translates into a higher level of GDP per worker,12 an efficient labour market results in better labour utilisation (more employment, less unemployment), while a larger labour force relative to population implies that more of the region’s human resources are being used in production. This methodology has been applied within the framework of the OECD Territorial Reviews to assess competitiveness of some metro-regions. 1. Productivity is key… Productivity emerges as a key factor in metro-regional performance among the three explanatory factors.
Henderson (1997) demonstrates that compared with mediumsized cities, large metro-regions are more specialised in modern services – finance, advertising, insurance, arts, consulting, etc. – or in consumer-oriented manufacturing such as publishing and high fashion apparel. They are also highly diversified in their remaining manufacturing bases, compared to medium-sized cities. Within basic manufacturing, very large metro-regions tend to have relatively low physical output per employee, instead producing administrative and R&D activities.