By Hiroyuki Ura
Ura demonstrates that his conception of a number of feature-checking, an extension of Chomsky's Agr-less checking idea, offers a average cause of a variety of facts drawn from various languages in a truly constant approach with a restricted set of parameters.
Read Online or Download Checking Theory and Grammatical Functions in Universal Grammar (Oxford Studies in Comparative Syntax) PDF
Best grammar books
The joys and simple solution to examine crucial grammar principles, universal utilization error, and different key innovations within the English language
Understanding the principles of English is vital to being an efficient communicator—at paintings, in class, or wherever else. in case you fight with the rules—and who hasn't? —English Grammar necessities For Dummies, Australian variation is the e-book for you. masking simply the fundamentals you wish, the publication boils the foundations of grammar right down to the center suggestions that would make you a greater communicator in any and each point of your existence.
• excellent for college kids, task hunters, grownup freshmen, those that converse English as a moment language, and somebody who desires to make an outstanding impression
• Covers the important necessities wanted for greater written communication
• Serves as an outstanding refresher path for pros whose fundamental mode of verbal exchange is more and more digital and written
Clear and comprehensible writing will be the foremost to luck in virtually any expert box. With English Grammar necessities For Dummies, Australian variation, you'll grasp the fundamentals very easily!
A key objective of a thorough English language path within the united kingdom can be to consolidate the grammar that the coed will have already got learnt in a full of life and motivating manner. academics operating in extensive classes within the united kingdom may be particularly green and may be trying to find easy-to-use additional source fabric during this difficult activity.
With English and Portuguese as father or mother languages; the numerous lexical retention of African languages; and the relative isolation of its audio system, Saramaccan has continually stood out between Creole languages. but regardless of its noticeable curiosity Saramaccan bought little within the method of scholarly examine. This groundbraking monograph dispels the secret surrounding Saramaccan and gives robust facts for a brand new method of Creole origins.
This quantity features a collection of papers facing structures that experience a passive-like interpretation yet don't appear to percentage the entire homes with canonical passives. The fifteen chapters of this quantity bring up very important questions about the right characterization of the common homes of passivization and replicate the present dialogue during this region, overlaying syntactic, semantic, psycho-linguistic and typological features of the phenomenon, from diversified theoretical views and in numerous language households and subsidized up as a rule via broad corpora and experimental experiences.
- Selves, Bodies and the Grammar of Social Worlds: Reimagining Social Change
- Theoretical Aspects of Passivization in the Framework of Applicative Grammar
- Quantification and Syntactic Theory
- The Art of Styling Sentences
Extra resources for Checking Theory and Grammatical Functions in Universal Grammar (Oxford Studies in Comparative Syntax)
6) Now it is evident that the notion "closeness" is essential for the economy condition (on operation). 15) If p c-commands a and T is the target of raising, then (3 is CLOSER to T than a unless p is in the same minimal domain as (i) or (ii) a. In the chapters that follow it will be shown that there are many cases where both (i) and (ii) should be true on empirical grounds (cf. Oka 1993a,b, 1995; and Ura 1994b, 1995c). 14) incorporates the effect of the MLC into "closeness" and the effect of the Last Resort Condition into its restriction on feature-matching, as stated in footnote 18.
Lasnik 1993 and Takahashi 1994). Incorporating Frampton's (1996) proposal to reinterpret the operation of movement as "attraction" (cf. 14) K ATTRACTS F if F is the CLOSEST feature that can enter into a checking relation with a sublabel of K. 6) Now it is evident that the notion "closeness" is essential for the economy condition (on operation). 15) If p c-commands a and T is the target of raising, then (3 is CLOSER to T than a unless p is in the same minimal domain as (i) or (ii) a. In the chapters that follow it will be shown that there are many cases where both (i) and (ii) should be true on empirical grounds (cf.
My best friend, is [ John t, ]. 34a) (cf. Stowell 1981). 34) looks like: 33 See Oka (1993a,b) and Ura (1994e, 1995c) for details. I will not touch upon wh-movement again in this book, though. For a treatment of wh/operator-movement under the feature checking theory, see Branigan (1992), Oka (1993a,b, 1995), Takahashi (1994, 1995), Tsai (1994), Lee (1995), Maki (1995), Zwart (1996), Fukui (1997), and references cited therein. 34 34 Checking Theory and Grammatical Functions in UG That is to say, the small clause is headed by the equative be.